Using VPN Mode
This article is part of the Source-Connect Pro and Pro X 3.9 User Guide
If you are on a complex network (for example, you are on different subnets), you may need to administer your common router so it knows to connect you. For information on managing your network, contact your IT personnel or get in touch with us at support.
In order to connect to other users using VPN mode, follow the steps below:
1. First, ensure that your VPN network is running (the VPN on the screenshot, Zero Tier One, is just shown as an example. For the list of accepted VPN connections, take a look at this article).
2. Log in using “VPN Mode” instead of logging in with your username.
3. After logging in, you will see your IP address available via the dropdown menu in the “Contacts” panel.
4. Generally, you can check that your VPN is active and your connection partner is available by entering the IP of the user you are connecting to and running the ‘ping’ test successfully.
If you can’t ping that computer, you may not be able to connect via Source-Connect VPN. Some networks may not support the ‘Ping’ test so check with your IT administration where possible.
If VPN Mode cannot find a valid private IP address, you will receive a message informing you of this.
Please quit Source-Connect and check your internet connection if this occurs.
5. Once you are ready to connect, you will see your IP address listed in the “my IP address and port” menu. If you have more than one IP listed, select the IP address that corresponds to the network interface you intend to use.
6. At least one side of the connection needs to communicate their IP address to the other connecting computer. You should also let your connection partner know what base port you are using (if it is not the default 6000).
7. To connect to another user, simply type in their IP address in the “connect to” section. Note this can only be a private IP address. This is to ensure complete security on your part, so you are confident knowing VPN mode will never send traffic to an unauthorized network.
8. When you are ready to connect, press the “CONNECT” button in the Status panel at the top. If the network is properly configured, you will be immediately connected and your session will run like a normal Source-Connect session.
For technical support, you are welcome contact us. Please note, however, that when working with private networks we are unable to offer assistance directly on Source-Connect without being given access credentials to your VPN.