Using VPN Mode
Please double-check the spelling, try a more generic search term, or try other search terms.
- Tips & Tricks
- Source Elements
- Source-Connect Now
- Source-Connect Standard 3.9 User Guide
- Source-Connect Pro and Pro X 3.9 User Guide
- Source-Live Pro LL User Guide
- Source-Connect Now User Guide
- Source-LTC 1.0 User Guide
- Source-Nexus 1.3 User Guide
- Source-RTL 1.0 User Guide
- Source-Talkback 1.3 User Guide
- Source-VC 1.0 User Guide
- Source-Zip Pro Video User Guide
- Source-Zip 2.0 User Guide
This article is part of the Source-Connect Pro and Pro X 3.9 User Guide
- First, ensure that your VPN network is running then login into ‘VPN Mode’ instead of logging in with your username. You should see that your VPN IP address is available via the drop down menu in the Contacts panel. Generally, you can check that your VPN is active and your connection partner is available by entering the IP address of the user you are connecting to and running the ‘ping’ test. If you can’t ping that computer, you may not be able to connect via Source-Connect VPN. Some networks may not support the ‘Ping’ test so check with your IT administration where possible.
- If you are on an active VPN you should be ready to make and accept a connection. If VPN mode cannot find a valid private IP address you will receive a dialog informing you of this. Please quit SourceConnect and check your Internet Connection if this occurs.
- Once you are ready to connect, you will see your IP address listed in the ‘My IP address and port’ menu. If you have more than one IP listed, select the IP address that corresponds to the network interface you intend to use. At least one side of the connection needs to communicate their IP address to the other connecting computer. You should also let them know what base port you are using (if it is not the default 6000).
- To connect to another user, simply type in their IP address in the ‘connect to’ section. Note that this can only be a private IP address. This is to ensure complete security on your part, so you are confident knowing VPN mode will never send traffic to an unauthorized network.
- If you are on a complex network, for example you are on different subnets, you may need to administer your common router so it knows to connect you. For information on managing your network, contact your IT personnel or get in touch with us at support.
- When you are ready to connect press the ‘CONNECT’ button in the Status panel. If the network is properly configured, you will be immediately connected and your session will run like a normal SourceConnect session.
For technical support, you are welcome contact us. Please note, however, that when working with private networks we are unable to offer assistance directly on Source-Connect without being given access credentials to your VPN.